Saturday, May 20, 2017

Shadow War!

Over the past couple of weeks I felt inspired by Kevin's blog about  GW Shadow Wars Armageddon, so I picked up the rules, liked them a lot, then picked up a batch of Imperial Guard stuff at a swap meet, then as the insanity reached a fever, I ordered 3 Gothic building sets from Pegasus to build a table of a ruined city for playing:

#4925 Gothic City Buildings Small Set #2#4923 Gothic City Buildings Large Set#4924 Gothic City Buildings Small Set #1

Gee - I can't wait until the missus sees the Visa bill....

So, here is my first stab at a kill team of Cadians, loaded with veterans, lots of grenades and lasers - plus flamer and sniper. It's designed to be shooty and explody at short range, but nerf when it comes to close quarters. Probably nerf all round, actually, looking at how the competition lists shake out.

Veteran Sergeant — Chainsword (25), Laspistol (15), Frag grenades (25) 
Special Weapons Operative — Sniper rifle (40), Red-dot laser sight (20), Toxic rounds (20), Camo gear (5)
Special Weapons Operative — Flamer (40)
Special Weapons Operative — Grenade launcher (frag) (85) 
Veteran Guardsman Frag grenades (25), Lasgun (25), Red-dot laser sight (20) 
Veteran Guardsman — Frag grenades (25), Lasgun (25), Red-dot laser sight (20)
Veteran Guardsman — Frag grenades (25), Lasgun (25), Red-dot laser sight (20)

I really enjoyed painting the models, they are just great. Really you can't be GW quality - if you like what they are making that is. I've always like the Imperial Guard (OK - now known as Astra Militarum....)

And I also managed a couple of stands of 10mm Naps - Hungarian grenadiers for my Austrian army:

Friday, May 5, 2017

28mm HYW, 10mm ECW, and 6mm WW2...

Once again, a bit of this and a bit of that. Looks pretty ocd - but hey - I'm never bored with it! Starts with French HYW foot knights in 28mm by Old Glory, followed by some 10mm ECW artillery...:

Then a batch of Heroics and Ros WW2 Italians - which again, I was very impressed with.

Monday, April 24, 2017

10mm WW2, ECW and 28mm medievals

All over the place this week -starting with a 1/144 Zvezda I-16 Soviet fighter I picked up at the local hobby store for air support for BattleGroup Kursk games:

Then I dabbled a bit with airbrush to repaint an old minifigs Matilda II model - may have been one of the first WW2 minis I ever painted. Used blue-tak masking to get the camo scheme - worked quite nicely. Below is the result (left on the base) beside a second Matilda painted > 10 years ago.

Then I did a couple more regiments of 10mm Parliament pike and shot bases:

And finally a unit of mercenary late medieval crossbowmen from Perry and a few spare Old Glory crossbowmen to fill out some units for a HYW project that is getting close to making it to the table. 

Monday, April 17, 2017

Western Desert "microarmor"

GHQ stuff seems to have become more pricey over the past couple of years - so I decided to fill out some of the holes in my 6mm desert project with Heroics and Ros models. They come at about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of GHQ on a per model basis and they are ordered individually - both considerable advantages. I also much prefer ordering from the UK because the exchange rate and shipping is much better than it typically is from the US.

Here is an H&R Grant beside a GHQ Sherman - not bad for size and detail matching. Actually I was quite pleasantly surprised with the quality of the H&R stuff I ordered. It's not as crisp as GHQ (but really nothing is) and I understand that some models are better than others, but on the whole, I'll be ordering more from them.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

28mm late medievals - HYW

I diverted to the age of Joan of Arc to do a couple of units of 28s for a Hundred Years War project that has been on the workbench for about 5 years. Eventually I would like to try a game using To The Strongest. I think my English are more or less complete - now need more kniggots and Genoese crossbowmen for the French.

The figures are Old Glory knights and the archers are the GW Bretonians plus some of those Battlemaster archers wearing silly outfits with a bit of conversion work.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Ugly WW2 Italians

I've had these 20mm Italian infantry figures kicking around primed and unfinished for a couple of years. Looking forward to the release of BattleGroup Tobruk, I decided to finish them off. I can't remember the manufacturer for all of them, some are RAFM (nice but a bit small) while the other very chunky chaps are something else and slightly ogrish. The 47mm guns are also RAFM metals - nice models but some fiddly little bits that adhere quite nicely to fingers over metal.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

French Naps

Knocked off two more brigades of French 10mm Napoleonic infantry this week. I think these are Magister Militum but might be Pendraken - not sure since they came loose in a job lot.