Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mark recently got me into playing HOTT, wow, what a blast I really enjoy creating an army from the ground up- you can add whatever you like as long as it fits under the 24AP allowance, and it has theme. This gave me a perfect excuse to paint up my 1/72 Zvezda Persians. This was great, what an awesome set of models. All those pinheads on TMP who knock 1/72 can boil their arses, these models are beautiful.

The army consists of one element of riders- Scythian or other types of cavalry, used to support my heavy hitting Hero on the army right flanks since they move 500 paces and can keep up.


I paired a Hero in chariot on the right flank. This is the quick strike force, in the first 3 games this pair of elements threatened a stronghold and rolled up the flank of a line of Elven blades. The chariot model is very nice:

In the center, I used one war elephant (behemoth) which gives the line punch:
The jumbo is flanked by 2 heavy cavalry (knights) who match the pace and also pursue, so are good elements to support a behemoth. Just don't get stuck behind the elephant.

My general is a Spear element with a second spear in rear support, this makes him +6 versus anything and the rear support element can strip off or turn to face a cheeky aerial in the rear. I like this combo for 4 AP, and the models are superb:
And finally, as a Persian you must be able to blacken the sky with arrows. I use 3 Shooters for my left (refused) flank, but these are very important elements in HOTT since they are very effective against aerials and lurkers, especially when they are in forest.


Today, we beat 2 undead armies and an elven force. We were VERY lucky not to lose to the elves, I rolled high on three critical shots that each could have won the game for Mark.

I suppose that confirms the result of the poll. Doesn't matter what you do if you can roll 6s.

No comments:

Post a Comment