Sunday, January 13, 2013

Late Romans


First project of 2013 is a Late Roman army in 28mm starting with heavy infantray. These are Foundry, very nice sculpt by the Perrys, who are my favourite. Beautiful figs, just a joy to paint. I have another 2 units of unarmoured foot, and will likely order some archers and cavalry for my birthday later this month to round them out.


 I also experimented with some different basing materials, I used Woodland scenics ballast for the ground, cork for the rocks, and GW tufts for the grass bunches. I also based everything on 60mm frontages since they will be used for either WAC/WAB using casualty markers or element based games such as Dux Bellorum or DBA.






4 comments:

  1. I like your choice for basing. It is probably the most versatile way to do it, for ancients. Did you have a specific purpose/project in mind in painting them? (By the way, they look great.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys!

    Mark, I usually start these things with WAB in mind, I intend for them to fight my Picts or maybe a Gothic army that I could cobble from various models. But there are a couple of options for element based rules that I like, not sure which, so I chose 60mm frontage because it is pretty flexible.

    ReplyDelete