Friday, June 26, 2020

More stuff and some dabbling with weathering

More progress on the ongoing projects:

A squad of Ancient Britons for Jonathan


Another regiment of 1/72 French Line by Italeri




And now my experience with weathering a 28mm tank model. I have never tried weathering - my stuff typically looks like it came right off the assembly line.

Here we go:

The kits I used:





 The model parts:



The model cleaned and assembled:



Step 1: US Olive Drab primer applied by airbrush
 

Step 2: Yellow Olive shade applied by airbrush


Step 3: US Dark Green shade applied by airbrush

 


 Step 4: US Olive basecoat applied by airbrush


Step 5: Grey Green highlight applied by airbrush


Step 6: Decals then Satin Varnish applied by airbrush


 Step 7: Camo Brown tracks and chips


 Step 8: Camo Brown with Buff track & chip highlights


 Step 9: Dark Brown Wash on tracks


 Step 10: Dark Green wash everywhere, and I should have stopped here ...


Now the ropey part....
Step 11: Pigment application followed by Binder - I used pigment wetter with water on the tracks for mud accumulation, followed by a dusting overall of pigment for road dust, then tried to fix that in place using binder. Then dullcote over top. 



I am unhappy with the binding step - it pooled pigment in the crevices and it was lost from flatter surfaces. Maybe dullcote contributed to that. Here it is with some newly painted Airborne dudes.


I tried an overwash with Agrax to tone down the stone grey dust, and reapplied dry pigment to the tracks, but I think it looks like shit


My chum Kevin tells me he had the same experience with binder, and the only solution is to throw out the model...


I am way too cheap to do that, so it will just have to play with it as it looks.
 

I need more practice with pigments!

2 comments:

  1. Dave, that looks good. Looks like it's been racing through the desert and it's got sand all over it. I'm definitely no expert and I'd bow to Kevin's judgement, when I weather, I use Vallejo and Secret Weapon Miniatures weathering pigments and just brush them on in powder form. I think they turn out pretty good. One suggestion, if you can get your hands on any of the Forge World Modelling Masterclass books, they're well worth the money. The pictures alone are worth it.

    ReplyDelete